Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Batman: Not So Brave Or Bold

I caught the first episode of Batman: the Brave and the Bold and found it to be total shite. I am of the opinion that Batman should be a twisted, dark, vigilante psychopath struggling to to keep his shit together and NOT a campy fucking childrens character reminiscent of the Adam West/Burt Ward live action series. But that's exactly what this new series has done. the Dark Knight film has proven that audiences are ready for a darker take on superheroes and Batman is the perfect character to explore the twisted psyche of a man on the edge in a fucked up world.

The show is terribly written with out-of-place narration throughout, horrible pacing, lame dialogue and campy action. Fuck that! I get that the dark thing has been done for a while with Batman now but that's coz Batman IS dark for fuck sake! BAH! This is a sad day for superhero fans. We've taken a step back to the 60's and are treating kids like simpletons yet again. UGH! I'm so sick of it!

That said, I am a huge Bats fan and will probably give the show a couple more chances to find its feet, but I'm not holding my Breathe. The Bruce Timm animated series', the Batman and Justice League Unlimited were all goddam awesome! Why not ride that wave and take it even further? I kinda dig the visual style on some levels and I can see how this concept could have worked out pretty well, but it's just ended up being a poorly executed show with bad voice acting, shit scripts and boring direction. A shame.

No comments: